Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Butterfly



It took all spring to paint the decks. It was murderous work, done crouched underneath the shrinkwrap, which acts very much like a greenhouse. Think 90 degrees, trapped with paint fumes. Wanna get high? At some point I might make some sort of detailed boat-painting-for-cheap-people tutorial, but frankly it's still too soon to relive the whole nightmare in detail. Let's get down to some pictures instead:


Starboard side cabin top. Sanded, awaiting paint. 


Starboard cabin top,  now with shiny paint.

Starboard cabin top, now with Kiwi-Grip nonskid paint. Best stuff ever. 

Close up of the Kiwi-Grip so you can see the awesome grip quality.  


When I finished the decks we removed the shrinkwrap and headed for our summer marina. We'd typically spend the winters at Constitution Marina in Charlestown, and summers at a tiny marina in Weymouth. Once in Weymouth, it was time to do something about all that yellow. 

I was committed to the idea of painting the boat from the dinghy in the water. Insanity. I bought big Rubbermaid tubs and lined them up on one side of the boat and filled them with water. The weight of the tubs would heel the boat over to bring the side I was painting out of the water a few precious inches.




The kid appreciated this effort. Personal swimming pools!

Action shot. I think I was sanding here.
I spent hours hanging out of that dinghy with my feet in the water. 

I'm a huge believer in child labor.

I'm also a fan of hubby labor. 

First side primed. Yeah baby!

Primer. I had to work in sections. You can still see the yellow stern in this shot.

Stern. Before. 

Sanded and repaired. 

Primed. 

Complete. New name!

FInished!



No comments:

Post a Comment